Politics and Policies:
- Dutch government has announced that it will ban the mild narcotic drug khat (Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16508238 ).
- The Ministry of Health of Malaysia is monitoring orange imported from Brazil (Source: http://www.nst.com.my/latest/health-ministry-monitoring-orange-juice-from-brazil-1.32264 ).
- European Commission (EU) has given support of 52 million euros to Ghana to reduce maternal mortality and achieve the MDG 5 targets (Source: http://www.ghana.gov.gh/index.php/news/general-news/10232-eu-gives-additional-funds-for-maternal-health ).
- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has temporarily suspended aid to more than one million people in central and southern Somalia (Source: http://www.voanews.com/english/news/ICRC-Suspends-Food-Aid-to-11-Million-Somalis-137172743.html ).
- India marks major milestone in global fight to eradicate polio. The World Health Organization has warned India to prevent such virus from being re-imported. (Sources: http://www.care2.com/causes/india-marks-major-milestone-in-global-fight-to-eradicate-polio.html, http://www.vancouversun.com/news/canada-in-afghanistan/India+needs+cautious+about+polio+milestone/5993029/story.html ).
- Gene responsible for Atopic Dermatitis identified. The researchers found an association between ORAI1 Genetic Polymorphisms and the susceptibility of this disease in Japanese and Taiwanese populations (Source: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0029387;jsessionid=5147EF5A0C05A18FB235EFD5B5B40274 ).
- Four genomic areas associated with the increase risk for exudative age-related macular degeneration (AMD) in Japanese individuals identified by a research team led by Michiaki Kubo at RIKEN Center for Genomic Medicine in Yokohama (Japan) (Source: http://esciencenews.com/sources/physorg/2012/01/13/keeping.eye.japanese.genome ).
- Researchers reveal the benefits for aspirin therapy for those suffering from a heart disease or stroke but not for those who may have symptoms and not any history of these diseases (Source: http://topnews.net.nz/content/220872-aspirin-therapy-heart-disease-stroke-prevention-not-everyone ).
- A study reveals that remission of cancer may be linked to chemotherapy drugs used for its treatment (Source: http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-01-13/health/30623236_1_cancer-relapse-cancer-cells-dna-damage ).
- Signs of changes in brain in people who are dependent online are similar to people who are addicted to alcohol and cocaine (Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/9009125/Internet-addiction-affects-the-brain-like-a-drink-or-drug-problem.html ).
- A blood test for the detection of mad cow disease (Source: http://topnews.net.nz/content/220887-blood-test-could-help-diagnose-deadly-mad-cow-disease ).
- A possible link between germ-fighting preservatives in cosmetics and breast cancer found (Source: http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/healthcare/studies/story/2012-01-13/Does-deodorant-ingredient-affect-breast-cancer-risk/52528952/1 ).
- Rare but recurrent mutation in gene linked to prostate cancer (Source: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/01/17/genetic-testing-for-prostate-cancer/ ).
- An Australian report says women over diagnosed with cancer due to mammograms (Source: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/01/16/women-over-diagnosed-with-breast-cancer-researchers-say/ ).
- Researchers from NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York City identified measures to reduce global warming by 2050 and improve human health and agriculture (Source: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/01/shindell-20120113.html ).
Diseases & Disasters
- About 70% milk samples picked up by a government agency in New Delhi failed to confirm to standards. About 48% milk in Chandigarh is adulterated (Source: http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-01-10/india/30611460_1_samples-milk-powder-central-food-laboratory, http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-01-11/chandigarh/30615932_1_milk-powder-milk-samples-pure-milk ).
- A massive epidemic of incurable form of tuberculosis which cannot be cured with any combination of the World Health Organization recommended drug has emerged in India (Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/india-struck-by-budding-strain-of-incurable-tuberculosis/article2300929/?from=sec431 ).