Jacaranda Health is a start up social enterprise that aims to set a new standard for maternity care in East Africa. We are combining business and clinical innovations to create a self-sustaining and scalable chain of clinics that provide reproductive health services to poor urban women. Our model is a combination of two tightly-integrated services (a) Jacaranda Maternities near the slums where women can go for respectful obstetric care, safe delivery, and postnatal care; and (b) mobile vans that create a direct link with our patients, generate demand and healthy outcomes through antenatal care and birth preparedness. Jacaranda has received awards for its model, and we are also planning to work as an “innovation laboratory” for new approaches in improving maternal health, from outreach and marketing, to low-cost mobile technologies.
We are piloting the model in Nairobi with a Jacaranda Maternity and mobile unit. We launched our first mobile clinic last summer and are providing services to women in peri-urban Nairobi. In the next few months we will launch our fixed clinic for deliveries and basic emergency obstetric care.
Jacaranda Health is in an exciting stage of growth, and looking for two Summer Associates to support our business and clinical operations during the summer of 2012. We seek exceptional candidates who are enthusiastic about working in a start-up environment on the cutting edge of healthcare and business. The work program will be tailored to the associate, and we are open to candidates with backgrounds in business or health. Several potential projects include:
- Quality improvement: how can we improve operations, quality control, customer service to deliver the most cost-effective maternity care in the world, that is also designed with our patients in mind.
- Technology for clinical operations: We are introducing mobile health technology with smart phones and tablets, to improve clinician decision-making, connect with our clients, and leverage Kenya’s mobile banking infrastructure.
- Market research: During the summer we will be assessing opportunities for expansion from our pilot clinics. We will need help analyzing client data, revisiting our customer segmentation, and evaluating the highest potential markets and services for our next clinics.
- New services: Help us evaluate and launch new lines of business, such as ultrasound, micro-insurance, or pediatric care.
Nairobi is an incredibly exciting place to work – a bustling economy and a global hotspot for social entrepreneurship and social investment. Associates will be exposed to a network of entrepreneurs spanning sectors: technology, agriculture, energy and health.
We have a dynamic cross-cultural team in our clinics and main office. Depending on the project, the Summer Associate would work with our Business Operations Manager, Marketing Director, or Clinical Operations Director. Recent graduates could also convert this into a longer-term fellowship opportunity.
- Full-time 12-week position based in Nairobi
- Start date: summer 2012
- The position is a volunteer fellowship, but Jacaranda can offer a stipend for expenses and housing
- Current student, MBA or MPH, or someone with 3-5 years professional experience and an interest in global health
- Highly resourceful, independent, and self-starting
- Flexible and easy-going enough to work in a fluid, cross-cultural startup environment in Nairobi
- Ability to communicate findings compellingly to colleagues and advisors
- Desired: experience working in East Africa or a similar setting
- First-hand experience building a health venture
- Learn about maternity experience and clinical challenges faced by low-income mothers in peri-urban areas
- Significant responsibility and independence
- Opportunities to meet and interact with the region’s top social entrepreneurs working in health, agriculture, and energy
Interested candidates should apply by email with an up to date CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Summer Associate” in the subject line. Deadline: March 15th.