- World TB day celebrated on 24th March, 2012 (Source: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/events/annual/world_tb_day/en/index.html )
- World Water day was observed on March 22nd, 2012 (Source: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2012/03/world_water_day_2012.html ).
Politics and Policies:
- The Governor of Washington has signed a bill into law, setting rules for insurers preparing for the state’s online insurance exchange (Source: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Governor-signs-insurance-exchange-bill-into-law-3430993.php ).
- The World Health Organization (WHO) designated an office of Singapore’s water agency Public Utilities Board (PUB) as a collaborating center for safe drinking water management and integrated urban water management (Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2012-03/22/c_131483664.htm ).
- The Republican-controlled House has passed a bill to abolish a Medicare cost control board created by the new health care law (Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/us/politics/house-votes-to-kill-a-medicare-cost-control-board.html?ref=policy ).
- The World Health Organization (WHO) will grant $1 million to Ukraine for the procurement of anti-tuberculosis medicines (Source: http://www.kyivpost.com/news/nation/detail/124752/ ).
- To push for accelerated progress in improving maternal, sexual and reproductive health for girls and women, a three day Women Deliver Regional Consultation will be held from March 27-28 in Kampala, Uganda (Source: http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/health/artikel.php?ID=233567 ).
- According to a study breast cancer relapse is more common in obese females (Source: http://www.lfpress.com/life/healthandfitness/2012/03/23/19541656.html ).
- A study indicates that the women recovering from breast cancer have safe and beneficial pregnancy (Source: http://www.lifesite.net/news/new-study-says-pregnancy-is-safe-even-beneficial-for-women-recovering-from ).
- In a study the scientists proved that breast cancer test can predict survival rate and aid in treatment (Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03/22/breast-cancer-test-predicts-survival-rate-treatment_n_1372186.html ).
- A research shows a link between poor dental hygiene behaviors and risk of developing endocarditis (Source: http://www.banglanews24.com/English/detailsnews.php?nssl=67777aed059b79871ae1be572bcd107c&nttl=2012032236313 ).
- A study done in Finland show that people who lived alone bought more anti-depressants (Source: http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/20120323/9355/depression-living-alone-mental-health-family.htm ).
- Eating more blueberries, apples and pears may be linked to lower risk of diabetes (Source: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/03/19/blueberries-and-apples-tied-to-lower-diabetes-risk/ ).
- A recent study rejects the previously thought association of prostate cancer risk with variants of geneTP53AIP1 (Source: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0034128 ).
- Scientists reveal that patients with a greater number of oligomers in the cerebrospinal fluid have a more pronounced Alzheimer’s disease (Source: http://www.emaxhealth.com/11394/scientist-find-link-between-protein-and-alzheimers ).
- Eating cadmium in food might augment the threat for breast cancer (Source: http://www.healblog.net/toxin-in-foods-augment-breast-cancer-likelihood ).
- Scientists have found that ultrasound is a new and better way to remove breast cancer tumors (Source: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/health-news/2012/03/24/new-method-to-remove-breast-cancer-tumours-simple-safe-and-effective-86908-23800122/ ).
- In a randomized controlled trial, the scientists have proved that Zymaderm is an effective treatment for Molluscum contagiosum (Source: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/3/prweb9316545.htm ).
- Scientists from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious disease have reported two well-known cancer drugs – Gleevec and Tasigna- that prevented Ebola virus from replicating in a lab colony of human kidney cells (Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/20/health/advances-suggest-possible-cures-for-ebola-and-marburg-virus.html?_r=1&ref=policy ).
- A study finds a different way of removing placenta during the child birth to prevent women from dying due to postpartum hemorrhage (Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/health/study-says-umbilical-cord-shouldnt-be-pulled-during-labor.html?ref=policy ).
- In a long-term study, the researchers have found that the rate of cognitive decline in older patients is more than doubled after a hospital stay (Source: http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/after-hospitalization-mental-trouble-for-elderly-patients/?ref=policy ).
Diseases & Disasters
- Swine Flu hits India, kills 14 people (Source: http://health.india.com/news/india-swine-flu-h1n1-update-14-dead-over-150-cases/ ).
- A 7.4- magnitude earthquake struck Mexico on March 20, between Acapulco and Oaxaca (Source: http://abcnews.go.com/International/magnitude-74-earthquake-shakes-mexico/story?id=15963259 ).
- Lyme disease spreading in Canada (Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=lyme-disease-pushes-northwards ).
- The top 10 list compiled from the Rhode Island Department of Labor indicates asbestos-related occupations are the deadliest jobs here (Source: http://www.asbestos.com/news/2012/03/23/asbestos-occupations-on-rhode-islands-deadliest-jobs/ ).