Attention IH Section members and blog readers! The Communications Committee is currently seeking a volunteer to compile and organize the global health news round-ups that have been featured on the IH blog this year. The round-ups have been typically been done on a weekly basis, but the News Editor would be free to provide updates in a different format, on continue using the current one. Check out the DAWNS digest, Humanosphere, APHA’s Public Health Newswire, or the Healthy Dose for ideas on how other blogs summarize relevant news.
While this is a volunteer position, it only takes a few hours to pull together news relevant news stories for the week, and the work can be done from anywhere in the world with a reliable internet connection.
There are several great reasons to get involved with the IH blog:
- YOU WILL BE VISIBLE. The IH Blog gets around 1,200 hits per month, with traffic from all over the world (and the news updates are a huge driver of this traffic!). Actively contributing to the blog for the IH section, which has over 1,500 members and is a loud voice for international health in a professional society with over 50,000 professionals, is a great way to put your name out there.
- YOU WILL BE NOTICED. Despite the fact that the world population just hit seven billion, it is a small world – the global health community even more so. I have been referenced and/or approached by journalists, portfolio managers from PR firms, and the New York Times because of my involvement with this blog.
- YOU WILL NETWORK. You always hear about the importance of networking in building a career. Ever feel awkward about striking up conversations because you need something? A better – way to network is by offering your services – you will be much appreciated and remembered for a whole lot longer.
- YOU WILL LEARN. Not only will you contribute to the field and get noticed for your contributions, you will learn so much by being exposed to the disussion: news, politics, analysis, industry trends and problems.
- YOU CAN PUT IT ON YOUR RESUME. Enough said!
If you are interested in this position, please contact Jessica Keralis, the IH Communications Committee Chair, at jmkeralis [at] gmail [dot] com for details.