The time has come…the 2017 APHA-SA Annual Meeting Scholarship Application is now OPEN. Apply by July 9th at 11:59pm EST to win one of the 50 available scholarships! The scholarship covers early bird registration for the 2017 Annual Meeting and the 2017 National Student Meeting as well as a $250 stipend to used on travel expenses for the Annual Meeting.
The APHA-SA Annual Meeting Scholarship (formerly the Leadership Challenge) was established in 2011 by M. Lyndon Haviland, DrPH, MPH to encourage APHA leaders to give matching funds to award scholarships for student APHA members to attend the Annual Meeting. Since its inception, Ayman El-Mohandes, MBBCh, MD, MPH joined Haviland to increase the match from $5,000 to $20,000.
Applicants must be a current APHA student member and either enrolled in a college or university or have or will graduate during the 2017 calendar year.
Scholarship recipients will be responsible for:
- Attending a pre-Annual Meeting webinar explaining the terms of the scholarship
- Attending the APHA Student Assembly National Student Meeting on Saturday November 4, 2017 beginning at 9am EST
- Attending the Hotlanta – Come Chill With Us session on Sunday November 5, 2017 beginning at 4pm EST
- Attending the APHA Student Assembly Business Meeting on Tuesday November 7, 2017 beginning at 6:30 pm EST
- Attending at least one oral or roundtable scientific session and three poster presentations and taking a photo at each to submit with the post-Annual Meeting survey and
- Bringing two hand-written thank you note addressed to Dr. Lyndon Havilland and Dr. Ayman El-Mohandes to be presented to them at the Awards Ceremony during Hotlanta – Come Chill With Us! for their leadership in establishing these scholarships.
- Submitting a post-Annual Meeting survey giving feedback about their experiences at the APHA Annual Meeting and be available for an interview after the Annual Meeting ends. Surveys will be due November 30, 2017.
- Engaging in an approved APHA component activity. Winners will receive training on what qualifies prior to the Annual Meeting and will have to provide proof of activity on the post-Annual Meeting survey.
You cannot save and return to your application once started, therefore it is highly recommended that you review the scholarship guidelines, the application rules and regulations found on the application, compile the necessary documents and your essay, and then go online to submit your application. The scholarship application should take approximately 60-90 minutes to complete. Feel free to email Student Assembly Chair, Rachael Reed, at email@example.com, if you have any questions. Good luck!