Posted on behalf of Paul Freeman, IH Section Action Board Representative
Colleagues, the battle continues. Please contact your Senate representatives for just 5 minutes as suggested below. It is crucial that you spend 5 minutes of your time for the ACA at this time.
In the coming days, the U.S. Senate may begin consideration of yet another proposal to repeal and weaken major portions of the Affordable Care Act. Like previous proposals defeated earlier this year in the Senate, this one, known as the Graham-Cassidy proposal, would cut health coverage and raise premiums and out-of-pocket costs for millions, eliminate the Prevention and Public Health Fund, slash federal Medicaid spending and end the ACA’s Medicaid expansion, and allow states to weaken protections for people with pre-existing conditions.
Your advocacy efforts were a key reason the Senate defeated the previous proposals to repeal or weaken the ACA. Take the time to contact your senators and urge them to oppose the disastrous Graham-Cassidy bill and any other proposal to repeal or weaken the Affordable Care Act either by using APHA’s action alert or by calling the Capitol switchboard and asking to be connected to the offices of your senators at 202-224-3121.
Sample phone script:
Introduce yourself as a constituent and public health professional.
I urge Sen. XX to oppose the Graham-Cassidy Affordable Care Act repeal bill. This proposal would:
- Cut health coverage and raise premiums and out-of-pocket costs for millions.
- Eliminate the Prevention and Public Health Fund.
- Slash federal Medicaid spending and end the ACA’s Medicaid expansion.
- Allow states to weaken protections for people with pre-existing conditions.
- Eliminate Medicaid reimbursements to Planned Parenthood for one year.
- Instead, I’m asking my senators to support the bipartisan effort to strengthen and improve the Affordable Care Act.
Thank you for you continued advocacy to support and strengthen the Affordable Care Act!