Politics and Policies:
- Ban placed on the sale of ‘synthetic marijuana’ in New York (Source: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/03/30/ban-placed-on-sell-synthetic-marijuana-in-new-york/ ).
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) rejects petition to ban BPA, a chemical found in food packaging including plastic bottles and canned food (Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57407289-10391704/fda-rejects-petition-to-ban-bpa-in-food-packaging/ ).
- The United Nations and New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPD) agency have partnered together to advance sustainable responses to HIV/ AIDS, health and development across the continent (Source: http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=41655&Cr=HIV/AIDS&Cr1=).
- A study indicates that pregnancy and hormonal changes that continue 12 weeks after giving birth increases women’s risk of heart attack (Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/25/us-heart-pregnancy-idUSBRE82O0FZ20120325 ).
- The findings of a research presented at American Chemical Society meeting at San Diego shows that the popcorn has antioxidants (Source: http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/story/2012-03-25/Popcorn-packed-with-antioxidants-hidden-health-benefits/53777198/1 ).
- A research indicates a risk of the spread of Flu pandemic during the London Olympics (Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/new-research-warns-of-olympics-flu-pandemic-risk-7606577.html )
- According to a team at the Institute of Cancer Research (ICR) , an antidepressant together with a drug derived from Vitamin A can be used to treat an adult form of leukemia- acute myeloid leukemia (AML) (Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120312003050.htm ).
- According to a study there is a link between the genetic variants in an area of genome and risk of developing Podoconiosis (Source: http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/03/28/podoconiosis-genes-idINDEE82R0I920120328 )
- A research indicates that HIV super infection may help to develop vaccines against this deadly infection (Source: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2012/03/29/superinfected-patients-give-clues-to-fighting-hiv ).
- Researchers at University of Melbourne have identified a mutation linked to breast cancer attached to the newly identified gene called XRCC2 (Source: http://www.smh.com.au/national/new-breast-cancer-gene-discovered-20120330-1w1xt.html ).
- Finnish researchers have found that the children vaccinated with the pandemic H1N1 swine flu shot were 13 times more likely to develop narcolepsy, a condition characterized by excessive sleepiness, even during the day time (Source: http://zeenews.india.com/news/health/health-news/swine-flu-shot-may-hasten-sleeping-disorder_16290.html ).
- A study shows that those patients, who had surgery to remove a gastrointestinal stromal tumor and have a high risk of cancer recurrence, have improved survival rates when they undergo treatment with anticancer drugs (Source: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_123476.html ).
- Researchers have found that a commonly used drug Metformin, for treatment of type II Diabetes may help to prevent liver cancer (Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/health/Diabetes-drug-may-help-prevent-liver-cancer/articleshow/12491050.cms ).
- The researchers at Lund University, Sweden are working to make the vaccines available in the market in five years, which will target the build-up of fatty deposits in arteries (plaques) to prevent heart attacks (Source: http://zeenews.india.com/news/health/health-news/vaccines-for-heart-attacks-to-be-ready-within-5-years_16333.html ).
- Researchers show how vitamin D slows the growth of prostate cancer. These supplements lower levels of a key protein called Ki67 (Source: http://www.emaxhealth.com/1020/researchers-uncover-how-vitamin-d-slows-prostate-cancer ).
- Depression is linked with sleep breathing disorder. Women with sleep apnea have 5.2 times more chances of developing depression (Source: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/03/30/depression-linked-with-sleep-breathing-problems-study-finds/ ).
- The researchers at University of Sydney through their study indicate that people who sit for a longer time have a shorter life span (Source: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/03/30/too-much-sitting-linked-to-shortened-lives/ ).
- A survey by the researchers from the Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore and John Hopkins University, finds 63% of children with autism are bullied (Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57406540/survey-finds-63-of-children-with-autism-bullied/ ).
Diseases & Disasters
- An explosion at Evonik Degussa chemical plant in the west town of Mari (Germany) has killed one person. Residents were asked to stay indoors with their door closed (Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5giWW7i_NwjgXDhsZFMKd0LRjl6dQ?docId=CNG.65605d82f9e8f0788a078c1a4655b4de.171 ).
- An earthquake of magnitude 7.1 struck central Chile on Sunday night (Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jsZz0L80EJKEWngc0ohu3woJDhPA?docId=97f8310de8f24dd48602b01296ea290b ).
- The deadliest form of malaria on rise in Banke district of Nepal. Fifteen people have already been detected with the plasmodium falciparum and plasmodium vivax (Source: http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/fullNews.php?headline=Malaria+on+rise+in+Nepalgunj&NewsID=325903 ).
- Fentanyl, a synthetic form of heroin causes overdose boom in Estonia (Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17524945 ).
- Washoe County health officials have reported 30 cases of childhood illness of hand, foot and mouth disease (Source: http://www.examiner.com/infectious-disease-in-national/washoe-county-health-officials-report-30-cases-of-hfmd ).
- Cholera grips Haiti (Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/world/americas/haitis-cholera-outraced-the-experts-and-tainted-the-un.html?ref=todayspaper )